Thread: Uh-oh
View Single Post
Old Sat May 12, 2018, 01:20pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
One of the most valuable lessons remembered from Marketing and Statistical Research courses, is that there is more than enough statistical data available to confirm just about any conclusion, anyone wanting to, and capable of, "cherry picking" and manipulating available statistics to produce "accurate" results to support and confirm ANY pre-selected conclusion.

Something to keep in mind when considering the accuracy of "polls" which can be designed to produce whatever predictable results a talented "question writer" is seeking.

Mark Twain wrote in his Chapters from My Autobiography: "Figures often beguile me, particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: 'There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.'"

It should be noted that no where in British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli's works can the phrase "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." be found. None-the-less, it is a accurate statement in my opinion.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio