View Single Post
Old Wed May 09, 2018, 07:37am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post
Foul ball. Plate umpire gives ball to catcher whose throw gets away from the pitcher. Runners advance. Umpire says ball was live when he gave it to the catcher. Incorrect ruling?
I'll say.

So, does this PU wait for the runners to return to their bases before he hands the ball to the catcher? Or can they just continue to head to their next bases once the ball is handed to the catcher and the ball becomes live again?

Like BretMan, I get frustrated by the lackadaisical attitude USA Softball has over putting the ball back into play again after Time or Dead Ball is called. There should be a formal procedure established to make the ball live again. There's guidance in the USA Softball Umpire Manual under "Plate Mechanics" Section 3, "The Pitch" that says:

Quote:
a. To start the game or any time after the umpire has prevented a pitch from being delivered, the umpire should direct the pitcher to play ball. When holding up play, simply hold up the hand opposite the batter with your palm facing the pitcher. When you are ready for the pitch, point at the pitcher and say "play" or "play ball."
Why limit this specifically to when the umpire stops the pitcher from possibly quick-pitching? Why not use the point and verbal "play" or "play ball" following any stoppage in play? It would prevent dumb interpretations like the one here where the umpire thinks the ball is live when he hands a new ball to the catcher.

Consider this: the PU calls Time to clean off the plate while the pitcher has the ball in the circle. As he finishes dusting it off and is returning to behind the plate, the runner at first notices that the pitcher has the ball in her glove between her knees while she's fixing her hair. So the runner takes off from first and makes it safely to second without a play. So, was the ball in play or not? One umpire might say, "No, the ball isn't live until the batter gets in the box, the catcher gets behind the plate, and I'm ready. Runner, go back to first." Another umpire might say, "Sure, why not? I finished cleaning off the plate, so there's no reason the ball remains dead. Runner, stay at second base." Without definitive guidance, either answer could be correct.

At least NFHS has 5-1-4:

Quote:
ART. 4 . . . After a dead-ball situation, the ball becomes live when the umpire calls and/or signals “Play Ball.”
And NCAA has this:

Quote:
6.9.2 Once a ball is declared dead, it cannot be made live and remains dead until an umpire indicates resumption of play.
Where does USA Softball say something similar?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker

Last edited by Manny A; Wed May 09, 2018 at 07:40am.