View Single Post
Old Thu May 03, 2018, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
OK. This year, I will be attending the MBOA camp at Annapolis, and Que'z Crawford's Level One Basketball Officials camp in DC, to get more practice with 3-man (I worked sub-varsity and intramural games this past season, and am looking to get varsity games
next season or the following season).

Next year, I'll look into going to the Villanova camp, and either one of Tim Ebersole's camps, or a camp run by Donnie Eppley. I'll also look to work one of the NIRSA tournaments, if an alumnus is allowed to work those.

I'll also be watching G-League video, if I can find any. Maybe there is some YouTube channel with training tapes for G-League officials. Failing that, I'll look through any G-League games, and watch the officials there.
Just my .02. If you haven't even worked a varsity schedule I wouldn't be traveling long distances and paying chunks of money for camps. I would focus on local camps, usually the local association puts together a list of camps and many are designed for 1-3 years of experience.

I had to google NIRSA but I would not work a tournament or anything else for anything intramural, however I basically know nothing of this organization. If there are summer league tournaments or leagues that assign 3 person (hard to find) I would jump all over those as a method to get used to the mechanics and rotations.

I don't live on the east coast so not sure about distances as things are much more compact so it might not be so much travel, but I would still stick with local opportunities especially if the assignors or higher level referees in your area/association have a development opportunity.