View Single Post
Old Thu May 03, 2018, 01:12pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaincoach View Post
Rant warning. Fed game. I realize there's going to be inadvertent contact between the PU and the catcher quite frequently, but when the PU decides to put his hand on my catcher's back during every single pitch and then give a forward push when he blurts out his call, we have a problem. ... What's the best way to approach this if I see it again?
Don't wait until you see it again. Inform the umpire's assignor now through your school's AD, or however criticisms of umpires are handled in your district, that you witnessed this. It needs to be addressed immediately. As others have stated, this is totally inappropriate for virtually all levels of amateur play in both softball and baseball. It's probably frowned upon in professional ball as well, but we do see it from time to time in MLB games, which may be where this particular umpire saw it and thought it was okay to do. Or, heaven forbid, it's something worse. It can't go unreported.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker