View Single Post
Old Wed May 02, 2018, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
So you are saying that the player receiving the ball must repeat the appeal?
Not that they have to repeat the appeal. I just have to believe that she's making an appeal. If she catches the ball and reaches out to get the bag, that tells me she knows what she's doing. If she brushes the bag inadvertently while trying to get the live runner between the bases, I'm more likely to judge that she didn't realize that an appeal was available.

As I understand the rule, the entirety of the matter is that the player making the appeal has to intentionally appeal the violation. If it's obvious what the violation is then we don't need any words. If there's ambiguity about what is being appealed we need to hear what it is. If there's ambiguity about whether it's a play or an appeal we need to hear words. I don't think we even need to hear it from the player. For example, if the coach yelled at the player, touch second because she left too early, then it would be obvious what the play at second was. But I don't believe you can unintentionally appeal even if somebody on your team is purposefully trying to appeal.