View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 24, 2018, 05:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ability To Handle Contact ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
But again I do not go into a mindset, "This is a JV game so I need to use different judgment." ... girls games because the same idea of what is a foul to me in that game is the same it is in a boys game. That is often not accepted in girls games so I tend to stay away from them wanting a call every time there is contact ... call a freshman game with the same idea of judgment that I would a Division 3 game. The difference obviously is that the Division 3 player can likely handle a certain level of contact and keep playing, where a freshman might get rattled.
Like JRutledge, I never go into a game with a certain mindset regarding contact, rather, I try to see what the players can handle. Hopefully I can figure it out, and get on the same page with my partner, sooner rather than later.

Girls generally can't handle contact as well as boys, but some girls can, and some boys can't. Younger players generally can't handle contact as well as older players, but some younger players can, and some older players can't.

Watch the players (and listen to the coaches) for the first few minutes and see patterns develop, and then adjust to those patterns, but don't go into the game with any fully formed preconceived notions.

I always have problems going from a Thursday night girls varsity game to a Friday night boys varsity game (but, oddly, no problems with the reverse). After a few minutes I get it all figured out and then its easy peasy lemon squeezy for the remaining three and a half periods.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Apr 25, 2018 at 05:44am.