View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Geez - what was up with the Sox last night? Looked like little Jason V decided to take his ball and go home...
Actually, he threw the ball either into the dugout or at the third base umpire. . .and then went home. I think he was ejected even before the last runner crossed home plate on the play. He was pissed, as I'm sure you know, b/c he felt the ball was foul and the 3rd base ump ruled it fair, and 3 runs scored.

That same ump drew the ire of the Baltimore coaching staff earlier in the game when they thought that Nomar's errant throw to third had gone out of play. The ump ruled that it had stayed on the playing field. That meant that the runner on third was not awarded home and he ended up being stranded there.

Unbelievably, the TV audience wasn't given a decent replay of either controversial call.

So the 3rd base ump "cost" the Sox 3 runs and "cost" the O's one run. Right after the second call (going against the Sox), my wife said, "Do you think he did that to make up for the other one?"

Interestingly, just last week during the Cubbies/Cards 5-game series (I think it was the second game of their doubleheader), there was a fair/foul call that unfolded just the opposite way. Ball was hit down the 3rd base line, chalk flew, and the ump called it foul. I think two guys from the Cards bullpen got tossed.

I love baseball.