Thread: Shoes
View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 20, 2018, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Arrow

This depends on the state / governing body. In my opinion, a major factor is the influence that the volleyball people have with the state association.

In many states, volleyball is an afterthought that is forced on the state office (that would prefer to be dealing with basketball and football issues).

I've worked in both. In California, the VB community has quite a bit of autonomy / influence. Because of that, the VB officials wear white shoes and navy blue pants. Same in Ohio. There are some influential VB people that live there.

In other states where VB is an afterthought, VB officials typically wear black shoes and black pants. In a significant number of states, VB refs are simply washed-up basketball refs that can't run or move any longer. The state office doesn't want to force them to buy a different pair of shoes and pants.

They see that all they have to do is stand there, blow the whistle for serve and when it hits the ground...grab their check and leave. I recall one such ref working a full varsity schedule at the ONE 1-hour annual rules meeting ask, "what is a block"?

How many states still have their VB refs wear stripes?