View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 18, 2018, 10:05am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
I will deal with these in order:

1. I care because its the rule set I officiate under. People with aspirations to move to pro level in states or anywhere else in the world will care because NBA and FIBA are moving closer together so all pro ball world wide is more common. You don't have to care what the rule is or what they do if you don't want. In the context of the argument that "NOBODY wants it called" everyone in the world except the NFHS and NCAA have a rule where it is technically a travel anymore was the point.

2. Majority of the NBA players (best of the best?) come from USA and grow up playing NFHS and NCAA rule sets primarily and other than an occasional blip the US still currently dominates Olympics and Adult world championships. I don't have the stats on how many professional basketball players there are in the world and what percentage are American, so how many of the pros world wide by percentage are American I can't tell you. As I assume by "this country you mean the USA".

3. Went back and rewatched the video looking for the early travel. My break down (of the slow motion portion at the end) has him get his hand under ball (between 29-30 second mark). At that point he has back foot on the ground , front foot in air stepping stepping. With FIBA and NBA rule that back foot down is a zero step. The next two feet down (spinning or not) which is all he takes are now his pivot and no pivot foot. He can now go off two and not travel or pivot OR pivot under and power step without it being an NBA or FIBA travel.

PS: In a totally unneccessary move, here is the link to the list of non American players in the NBA. No Lebron or Steph on the list but guys like Kyrie Irving , Ben Simmons and Jamal Murray are pretty good.

NBA rosters feature 108 international players from record 42 countries and territories - NBA.com: NBA Communications
In your link, there were only a 108 players in the NBA from other countries. That is not half of the league and not even a third of the league. If you were paying attention, I actually stated this fact earlier.

Secondly this game was played under NCAA Rules.

And Finally I am happy you work FIBA games, but if this site was dependant on officials that work FIBA to support this site, then we would hardly ever have a discussion as the vast majority of those here or games we see are under rules from places in the United States and that includes NBA, NF and NCAA Rules. And there are a pretty significant amount of basketball being played around this country that play under those rules sets. My state alone has over 700 schools that participate in basketball at multiple levels. Illinois is not even close to the biggest state in the Union so that clearly means there are many, many more players that make up of the world's best players that are playing under a rule outside of FIBA. So they must be adapting well to not playing in FIBA rules to get to the NBA. And that of course is not a problem as I would bet almost all the officials in the NBA are also from this country and usually they started working some high school ball somewhere also.

Peace