View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 18, 2018, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Looking for info on how your boards/associations conduct training for officials.

1) How Many meetings do you hold with your members?

2) How is each meeting structured? You have a group meeting and then break out into smaller classes? What % of meeting time is done in group meeting vs Break out?

3) Is watching videos part of each meeting?

4) How much time is dedicated to on court training?

Thanks for taking the time to answer....
So in the preseason (fall) we will have 6 meetings on consecutive Sundays. Rule prep, updates, training videos, test prep, evluations, administrivia, etc. Once in season there will only be one meeting in season generally near the end to help with decision making at follow up.

Our associating zone is small (but mighty?) only 10-15 members and a handful of junior officials in a given year but we are only responsible for 5 high schools and their feed programs.
SO when we meet we tend to all stay together and work as a collective unless someone is taking the junior officials to work on something specific.

If video would support the talking point we use it. IMO we and individual officials should be viewing and using film more often at meetings and on our own to not only inform practice to clarify decision making and rational. Instead of anecdotes or opinions what does the tape say.

One of the preseason sessions will be exclusively on court, and during other sessions we have a court available so if we need to break off and demo something or walk through we can.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!