View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 16, 2018, 02:05pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
R2 returns to 1st and is obstructed by the 1st baseman. I award 1st. Is this a NCAA returning warning on the 1st baseman?
NCAA Rule 9.5.3.8 says, "A fielder shall not at any time obstruct a runner returning to or leading off a base." So, Yes, if you feel F3 obstructed R2's return to first base, then you should issue F3 a warning, and make sure that your PU partner annotates the warning on his/her line-up card for F3's team.

Now, I'm wondering what actually happened while R2 was returning to first base. Was she running back to the base in due haste to prevent a play on her? Or was she just trotting back to the bag and casually bumped into F3 while F3 was moving back to position? I guess I'm questioning the real need to rule obstruction on this.

For example, if the BR hits a clean single, rounds first, then turns to lollygag back to the bag while the ball is being thrown to F1 back in the circle, and she makes contact with F3, I don't necessarily think that is due cause to make an obstruction call. This one may not be worth a call.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker