View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 12, 2018, 12:49pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
For USA the appeal is considered at the time of the appeal, not the time of the infraction. So, for them, this is not a force out.

For NFHS it is, because you consider the appeal to be at the time of the infraction.

I haven't done a point by point comparison for ALL rule sets, but I think that USA might be the lone organization to call it this way.
I knew there was at least one "rogue" alphabet that felt this way. Thanks for clarifying.

Here's an NCAA Softball case play that supports the force out appeal:

Quote:
A.R. 7-2. With runners on first and third bases and one out, the batter hits a ball down the foul line that rolls all the way to the home run fence. The runner from third apparently scores, the trailing runner arrives safely at third base, but misses second base and the batter-runner misses first base, but safely slides into second base. The defense appeals the two missed bases but does it matter which order they appeal in order to negate the run?
RULING: No, it does not matter because both missed bases were force outs. It is obvious if the lead runner’s missed base was appealed before the batter-runner, they would both be force outs but even if the appeals were in the opposite order, the result would be the same. The fact that the base runner from first base was forced to advance at the time she missed the base, makes her out a force as well. With both outs being forces, the run does not score. Note: If a runner is forced to advance at the moment the base is missed, an appeal of that base will always be a force out, but if the base missed was beyond the base to which she was forced, it is a timing play.
(Rules 7.1.1.2, 6.2.3.1, 7.1.1.2.7, 12.10.2 and 14.6.1.3)
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker