View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 11, 2018, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
Sooo... if this ever happens in our sport, can we use this as a guideline? Not to say that we'd quote this case play in explaining our call, but do we have a leg to stand on under our rules?
Of course we wouldn't cite this case play. But I wouldn't have any problem, if two softball players did this same thing, judging it as "passing". I've never seen any interpretation that says it wouldn't be.

I'm thinking of "passing" as which runner is advanced closest to home. Once the lead runner goes past third base like that, then the trailing runner is closer to home.

Quote:
Is the fielder with the ball expected to continue chasing the runner beyond 3B into left field? That was my earlier point, that the base path that is established by the pursuit is a straight line between where the runner is and 3B.
3 feet beyond 3B is out of the path, no?
Again, no problem with a base path violation, so long as a tag is being attempted. The lead runner is now between second and third base. As such, his base path is a line to either of those two bases. Straight up the foul line, toward the outfield and away from third base, is not the runner's legal base path.

Quote:
If Sanchez steps back off the bag when Stanton trots on by into left field, is he no longer considered to have passed Stanton? If he is, how far back would he have to step to not be called out?
Not sure why you'd think that. First, the passing violation had already occurred, so the trailing runner is already out. Nothing he can do at that point to change that.

If he did step off, now both runners are between second and third base. Which one is most advanced toward home? Or, which one is closest to third base? That should tell you which is the most advanced runner. If that's the trailing runner, then you have a violation.

Last edited by BretMan; Wed Apr 11, 2018 at 11:52am.