View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 10, 2018, 10:20am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
This is a question that only makes sense in message board land. If her foot is touching the plate then it is not clear from my distance that no part of her foot is above the plate. I make this call when I can see space.
I'm able to see it quite clearly on some fields. Watch the pitcher warming up before the inning starts, and you'll see it. If it looks the same when she's actually pitching, call it. I've done it a few times, and I've never had a pitcher or coach complain that she was "on the plate" and I just couldn't tell.

Yes, the benefit of the doubt can be given to the pitcher when conditions aren't ideal so that you can see it. But if you can definitively tell, then letting it go because you don't "see space" between the foot and the plate is selective enforcement.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker