View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 08, 2018, 09:42pm
Stirrer of the Pot

I've heard the argument that a trail runner "passes" a lead runner when that trail runner is physically closer to the next base than the lead runner. So when Stanton overran third (presumably down the foul line), he put himself further away from home than Sanchez, thereby putting Sanchez "past" Stanton. But that argument was under baseball rules; I don't know that the same thing would be ruled in softball.

As for abandonment in softball, I wouldn't rule abandonment on "Ms. Stanton" if she overran third base, because abandonment rules require a runner to enter DBT. Only in NCAA Softball does the abandonment rule consider a runner who demonstrates no willingness to run the bases by heading to her position or toward the dugout. She can be called out while she's still in LBT. But if this happened in a college game, I wouldn't immediately come up with an abandonment call here unless I see the runner head toward her dugout after overrunning third base.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker