View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 07, 2018, 12:32am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
No "reset" signal? Then what does the signal on page 164 of the CCA Men's Basketball Officiating Manual where you twirl 1 finger mean (or the same signal on page 190 of the CCA Women's Manual)? I typically do not use the signal if I notice that the shot clock is being reset consistently when it should be, but if I have kids, or people who may not know what to do, I give the finger twirl if it is a confusing situation, for clarification. After the first few possessions, even kids catch on, and I don't have to use the signal again for the rest of the game.
Again, can you show me where that signal is used during live ball?

Maybe you need to read page 132 that actually talks about the Shot-Clock Procedure. IJS. Nowhere in that procedure is that to indicate that you give it during a live ball. As a matter of fact, the signal is used in conjunction with other signals before putting the ball back in play when certain things have taken place to reset the clock.

Quote:
One of the major objections provided by shot clock opponents is that it is difficult to find competent help at the table for the game clock, so shot clock is an additional layer of complexity. If it can be proven that table personnel are competent, or can become so with adequate instruction and encouragement, then the "shot clock is impossible because of bad tables" argument is moot.
I do not care if the tables are good or bad, I just do not think everything is about other levels. You in this conversation used FIBA Rules as a reason to do something when the best league in the world is played by mostly people that never played under a shot clock or any college rules. I really did not ask you what the argument was, I was giving my opinion. The NF is not going to make a rule that would come with all kinds of logistical issues as stated by me earlier. My state has had school funding problems and adding that additional cost to a sport that is in many cases being considered completely stopped, I do not see that as a viable situation when schools are complaining across this country for books, but you think they are all going to be OK with an expensive shot clock. The NCAA told lower level colleges that they were not allowed to have a couple of years to change the restricted area on the court, but somehow high schools and lower are going to adopt an even more expensive cost than a single making on the floor?

Quote:
If the shot clock can be implemented, then NFHS can eliminate the closely guarded on the dribble rule, and become consistent with the other levels of basketball.
Honestly, I have never heard anyone care until you made this post. I have never heard a complaint about the usage of a closely guarded rule.

Quote:
Hopefully, this post has cleared up your questions.

P.S. I have 3 years of experience, and my past season was a crash course in HS freshman and JV basketball, how to run a shot clock (DC public and private schools use a 30 second shot clock, with women's college rules for that and the 10 second count (except for DC public school girls, who have no 10-second count, and WCAC boys, who use men's shot clock rules)), and 3-man mechanics (intramural basketball), so the situations that I am talking about with the shot clock come from direct experience.
I have done it 20 years more than you. And I do not do JV and Freshman ball. I do varsity and college and often games are covered by the media on some level. So if there is a mess up in the game or a controversy, it is covered in the media. I even worked 2 State Finals where a reporter said my name directly in at Tweet of a game I was doing in a 4A Semifinal. When mistakes are made at my level they do not just get glossed over, they often get talked about in the paper. That does not happen at the JV level where you are lucky if 20 people will be at the game. In the 4A title game this year, there was an official that stopped the clock because of a noise maker in the building. The game was tied and that stoppage allowed a team in regulation to get the last shot (after the AP gave them the ball) which was not only controversial but debated heavily if the clock should have been stopped or not. If that had happened in a JV game in the middle of December, no one would have cared. That is the kind of thing that would or potentially happen with shot clocks. And it would not be in a couple of states, it would be across the country. How many YouTube videos are made about controversial things in basketball games where there are no clock issues? Well, guess what would happen all over the place if the shot clock was not started or stopped properly and someone loses a game or near loses a game over that situation. And unlike NCAA Division 1 level, they are not going to get a video review to correct the mistake. How many times just in the tournament did the officials review shot/game clock issues? And that is with millions on the line.

Peace