View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 05, 2018, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
What is the better pipeline to the NBA for officials, men's or women's basketball? AFAIK, many women work women's basketball, and get into the WNBA that way (they later get picked up to the G-League because of their experience in the WNBA). This may be because not many assigners of men's basketball see women as capable of working high level men's games, so women's basketball might be their only option until they reach the professional level. Is women's basketball a reliable way for a male official to get to the NBA, or should I focus on men's basketball instead?
The reasons women don't work men's college are...

1) They're unlikely to get hired (just the way it is), and
2) Females with potential move up the ladder very quickly in women's basketball. Much more quickly than a male with the same or even more talent. Why would a woman with a lot of promise try and go the men's route when the prospect of having a full college schedule in 5-10 years is very realistic on the women's side and impossible on the men's side?

I'd imagine if you have aspirations of making it to the NBA as a male, then you need to work men's college, but I really don't know.