View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 04, 2018, 11:07pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
As a long time women's college official (34 years) and USA Basketball Official (12 years) I have always thought the NCAA Women's Closely Guarded Rule requirement of the Defender being within three feet of the Offensive Player in PC of the Ball and only while the Offensive Player is holding the Ball was the better Rule.

The NCAA Women's Closely Guarded Rule was a NAGWS Rule which was taken from the FIBA Rules.

MTD, Sr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
All codes that use a shot clock (NCAA M/W, NBA, FIBA) have no closely-guarded counts on dribblers. NCAA and FIBA only have counts on players holding the ball, NBA only has counts on players in the post with their backs to the basket. THAT is how a shot clock follows this discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
How did this thread go from the Closely Guarded Rule to property taxes?

Please lets get this thread back on the tracks.

MTD, Sr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
I made the argument that the shot clock would simplify administration of the closely guarded rule, because the closely-guarded rule does not apply to dribblers in any code that uses the shot clock. From there, various posters started making arguments about the feasibility (or lack thereof) of adopting a shot clock in NFHS.

Re: NCAA, I have watched DIII video, and the officials at that level seem to be consistent in calling the NCAA version of closely guarded (only on players holding the ball). Maybe DI tournament officials got confused, because they have not seen closely guarded situations frequently during the regular season, and do not know what it is when they encounter it. Maybe the NCAA will make closely guarded situations a point of emphasis next year, and this discussion will have borne some fruit .
[QUOTE=LRZ;1020409]ilyazhito, I'm pretty sure MTD's question was rhetorical and bob jenkins' comment was meant as mildly sarcastic.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Incorrect.

I want to start with the above comments in green. I was not being rhetorical.

Now lets address the above comments in red. My very first comment was a history of the Closely Guarded Rule. My personal preference, shot clock or no shot clock, only holding the ball and three feet to be Closely Guarded.

And the above blue comment? I am old school and do not believe that game (NFHS, NCAA Men's/Women's. NBA/WNBA, or FIBA) does not need a shot clock. My personal believe is not meant to elicit comments, pro or con, because my reasons are not important.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio