View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 04, 2018, 04:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Let's be real, we're only independent contractors in form and only somewhat in substance. Sure, we can choose to work for whatever assigners we want, until we get told we're not allowed to by a different assigner.

"You don't have to work for an assigner if you don't want to follow his rules." Guess what? I can quit my job if I don't want to follow my employer's rules, too. That's no different from being an employee.

And I'm not saying I want to be employed by my state association or an assigner. Just pointing out that saying "we're independent contractors" is just a formality and not really representative of what often goes on in this business.
In our state we have a strong independent contractor law that has gone after associations for trying to play this game. I am not suggesting that people sue to get a certain right, but if you just quit, then that does not help anyone either. So yes we are independent contractors on my end, because I know I can say no to any potential assignment. But then again no one is telling me what kind of games I can or cannot work here. It is truely a choice.

Peace