View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 02, 2018, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

My thoughts

I've been following this thread with interest and enjoyment as I do believe the O.P. is being sincere in his interest. As someone that works NCAA-W and high level varsity boys (including significant postseason assignments) I will say this: at the college level, you have to commit. At the high school level, I bounce between genders without issue. My real issue is calling a HS girls game-- I want to call it like a college game but the coaches in our area want it called like we call a boys game (more advantage/disadvantage, fewer absolutes).

One of my mentors several years back said it best: he told me my personality is a better fit for the women's college game...and he's right. I am of the opinion that there is more camaraderie among collegiate women's officials than men's...it is competitive, but not cut throat.

WBB officiating has come a long way in recent years and while gender and race will always play a role in assignments and advancement, the cream always rises to the top...it just might take longer for some compared to others.

A camp clinician said it best: getting here is the easy part, it's staying there that's toughest.