View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 28, 2018, 11:22am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
I'll have to review the Fed rule again; I may have an out-of-date interpretation in my head. I was speaking only of collisions initiated by the runner, not incidental contact or the colloquial "wreck".
Aren't all collisions pretty much initiated by the runner? They're usually the ones in motion trying to get to a base while the fielder is already there trying to field the throw, have the ball in their possession, and/or are waiting to make the tag.

I always thought that the situation was pretty clear in NFHS play. Take away any maliciousness by the runner, it can only be one of three things:

1. Fielder doesn't have the ball in her possession, runner runs into her: Obstruction.

2. Fielder has possession of the ball and almost simultaneously the runner runs into her: Collision. Runner is out or safe depending if the fielder maintains possession and tags runner or base before runner touches the base.

3. Fielder has possession of the ball and turns to make an immediate play, then the runner runs into her: Violation of 8-6-13, runner is out even if the ball becomes dislodged.

USA is a little murkier because rule 8-7-Q talks of a runner crashing into a fielder who has the ball in his/her possession, which is considered interference. But RS#13 specifically mentions the fielder "waiting to apply a tag". So if the fielder gains possession of the ball a split second before the runner contacts her standing up, is it interference under 8-7-Q, or is it just softball since the fielder isn't waiting to apply a tag? My guess is that it's the latter, but it sure would be nice if there was an actual play or clarification that says that. Irish said there used to be language about simultaneous arrivals in the ASA book that was removed in 2014, but really didn't explain why.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker