View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 26, 2018, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Which is how I've always administered such situations, and will continue to do so absent guidance to a rule that differs.

But when the situation arose this past weekend in an NCAA D1 game (date, league, teams, umpire involved not mentioned because the objective isn't to call anyone out, but to provide enhanced understanding), once time had been called, the baserunner popped up and headed to second almost immediately, and before the base umpire pointed to second to signal the award, which he did.

The first base coach was of course waving his arms and pointing, but first base coaches want an award of second if a cloud passes over the field, so that didn't necessarily mean anything.

But none of the 1st baseman, the defensive team captain, or the defensive coaching staff so much as questioned it, and they had already in the series established a pattern of questioning if not outright arguing considerably less controversial or obscure rulings.

This is what prompted me to an extensive searching of rule books for something I'd overlooked or forgotten to account for the award. When multiple people with competing agendas universally accept something, there's usually a reason, especially in baseball!