View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 22, 2018, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Another case of one UIC wanting one thing and a different wanting something else. Last national school I went to we were told to give a swoosh signal or whatever you want to call it if the defebder was off the bag. The only difference was, our state staff had initially told us to give the off the bag signal first and then give the safe signal, otherwise they felt it looked like making an excuse for the safe call. National staff told us they wanted the safe signal first and then the off the bag signal and announcement.
Odd that a national camp staff would give you advice on a non-approved signal (tongue firmly in cheek). FWIW, any additional signal, whether point or anything else, should be given before the out/safe signal in any case, IMO. I agree that any signal after the out/safe does in fact look like an "excuse" signal. Always finish with a textbook out/safe.

I love how threads diverge on this forum. It speaks to the depth of our avocation. To go back to a comment made on my original situation (missed tag at 2B, followed by an overslide): What is the preferred mechanic here? I waited until the whole play finished before signalling. Anyone prefer a "no-tag" signal (maybe with a point) earlier in the overslide? ... Or does this risk a double-signal safe-out?!