View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 21, 2018, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefsNCoaches View Post

I've never understood the mentality of these parents who act like 5th grade basketball is going to determine their kids college ability on any given Saturday.
Don't get me started on this! I understand college is becoming financially inaccessible for many, but to bank on your kid getting a scholarship from sports seems insane to me. This is nowhere worse than in club soccer where parents will spend $1000s of dollars every year for their kid to play travel soccer year round, even though, quite frankly, their kids aren't that good. Clubs are happy to take their money, but if they actually saved that money, they may be able to help more than what they're hoping to get from a sports scholarship. Plus, let's be real here, the scholarships they're getting are for little D3 schools that may not actually be best for their academic pursuits. Yes, let me pigeon hole my kid into some school that throws them a little money vs. finding a school that fits my kid's personality and academic pursuits. Oh, and let me gamble those $1000s of dollars with the very real chance they get zero scholarships. Great plan.

Hey, I get it if your kid is truly gifted and could get a D1 scholarship to play anywhere, but that is < 10 kids per state in most cases. For the rest of them, let them play rec and have fun. [/rant off]

Chris