View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 20, 2018, 09:38am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
My side question about situation #2... is the no-tag, no-touch, no-call mechanic the same as is required at the plate?

While I've never had it happen out at the bases, I do come up with a firm "NO TAG" immediately, of course staying with the play for a potential overslide.

I don't think the delay (other than the ordinary hesistation-timing we should use) is appropriate other than at the plate...
I don't know that anyone answered your question. But typically at second and third base when you have a missed tag and a runner who misses the base, one or both players are going to make the immediate correction to fix the mistake, so you won't have to worry about a delayed Safe signal. You just don't want to give a quick Safe call because you could end up following that with an immediate Out call if the fielder makes the subsequent tag before the runner can correct herself. The "Safe, No, Out!" call doesn't look good.

At home plate, that's a different situation because the runner may head to the dugout after oversliding and not touching the plate, and not bother to fix it. So a delayed Safe call provides some closure on the play, because the runner is considered Safe at that point, but is still subject to appeal.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker