View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 19, 2018, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Don't take this personally but this is a bit naive. One crew may adjudicate differently than another one. It would be rare that Senor Collins would make an announcement on this as this action is not THAT prevalent. There are more pressing issues to get officials on the same page that have a greater impact than this. There will never be 100% uniformity in how things are called at the NCAA level, however they try their best to get all officials on the same page as far as contact and freedom of movement stuff.
I officiate, so I take very little personally. At the same time, I probably view things like this, something that is truly a black and white situation, as something that "should" be fairly easy to get everyone on the same page with. "If anyone from team A possesses the ball after a score and throws the ball to one of the officials, a DOG warning shall immediately be called." (for example) From my perspective there is no 'gray area' here, and all officials could be easily observed on how it is adjudicated. To be honest, it could be something that saw nearly 100% consistency overnight.

Unlike, contact and freedom of movement, which I agree are more pressing issues. There will always be a 'gray area' for those things and individual judgement, thus people will always see inconsistencies from game to game, no matter how much focus the NCAA puts towards it.

Side note: Just saw video of a 4A boys semi-state game in Indiana where a DOG warning was given to team A after A1 had a breakaway dunk, A1 then grabbed the ball (no one from Team B was close to the ball or trying to gain possession of it), turned and nicely handed it to B1 who was standing right beside him. Seemed like an odd call, considering no delay truly resulted. Maybe a state interpretation was handed out or maybe it was just an individual official's interpretation??