Thread: The "FLOP"
View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 16, 2018, 04:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pogo (By Walt Kelly) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
For it to fall into the flop category no contact would have to result in a reaction that was clearly meant to indicate there was contact
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I consider players who throw themselves to the ground after a jump shot or who snap their heads back as if they got hit to be flopping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
defenders who try to get PC fouls by feigning non existent contact or embellishing legal contact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
"I know it when I see it" approach works just fine for flopping
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
I know it when i see it ... knowing it when I see it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
the defender goes down much harder than the contact would have caused...that is a flop.
For all Forum posters who have described flopping in their own manner (some are pretty good descriptions).

When your see flopping (according to you own description) do you penalize with a technical foul?

Be honest.

Thirty-seven years of officiating, and a lot of basketball as a player, and a coach, and I have never, ever, seen, nor have I ever charged, a technical foul for "faking being fouled".

I've seen potential flopping situations adjudicated, possibly incorrectly, as blocking fouls, as no calls, and occasionally (actually rarely) observed an official warn, but have never seen a technical foul charged.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Mar 16, 2018 at 05:11pm.