View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 11, 2018, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

It sounds as if several areas don't run their associations as a collective of individuals officials, but rather as labor unions. Independent contractors who are part of associations are all equal. In Labor Unions, seniority is often used to classify members and reward those who have belonged longer. Often pay grade differs with years of service.

In my opinion, the labor union model is poor and unfair. Officiating should be about skill and merit. The only reasonable reason for preventing new members from voting is that it prevents a quick sea-change as it slows down a take-over by a bunch of new guys who probably don't know enough to run the organization yet.
I don't mind some restrictions on first or second year officials, but then these people should also pay less in dues, if they aren't given full privileges (perhaps they can't vote in elections or aren't eligible for playoff assignments, etc.)

Otherwise, my take is that everyone who pays the same dues and meets the same requirements (attend meetings, pass exam, etc.), needs to be treated as an equal member.