Thread: T?
View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 02, 2018, 03:00pm
Do not give a damn!!
Originally Posted by griblets View Post
I’m likely to be in the minority, but I would seriously consider it, and likely regret it if I passed. There’s no place in youth sports for that. No 10 year old kid should have to hear an adult say that about him/her.

I cringe when I hear a coach yelling things like “she can’t dribble” when the whole gym can hear it, especially when it’s intentional to get into the head of a youth player. The win at all costs mentality in youth sports is sickening. It’s unsporting behavior that I feel needs addressed at younger age groups. I choose to have a positive impact on and support youth players who can’t defend themselves from thoughtless or ruthless adults.
What is a coach supposed to tell a player if they are not good at something? You cannot tell a player that their opponent cannot dribble or shoot? Not trying to be funny, but if you cannot do those things as a player, the best way to counter that is to get better at that skill. I find nothing even remotely offensive about that kind of thing. They are going to hear that the older they get for sure.

I get the position that youth sports are not in a great place, but to me, that has nothing to do with that fact. That is a coach actually coaching and telling them what to do or how to defend their opponent.

We are not the moral police, we are officials calling the game.

"When the phone does not ring, the assignor is calling."

Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)