Thread: Crazy play
View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 05, 2003, 05:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bfair
If the defense appealed at the proper time, I would uphold the BOOT as you did.
I understand the different opinions here. My initial thoughts were, and probably what I would still do is "undo" the play. If during a timeout, a pitcher takes the rubber without the ball when trying the hidden ball trick and the ball is put into play improperly, isn't the proper response to undo the attempted hidden-ball pick-off? Though this balk/extra-runner situation is not specifically covered in the rules, I would think the ball was indeed put into play improperly with an extra runner at first.

If I were to follow this procedure, then what would happen if the extra-runner eventually scored, would the run count? How about if in a different situation, no one (officially) on the bases and a first base coach casually puts his foot on the bag. The batter were to then hit a home run and the 1st base coach ran the bases in front of the batter/runner, would the defense officially have to lodge an appeal before the next pitch that the coach/runner was not a legal runner?

I know I'm taking it to the absurb level, but only doing so in thinking through the specifics.