View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 24, 2018, 01:37am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
Had an odd one the other night.

1Q - shooting 2 FT's. I'm the T, I glance over my shoulder to see if we have a sub waiting after the first shot. I quickly realize something isn't right. The assistant coach is standing on the court with a whiteboard drawing up something for the 4 players not involved in the FT. HC is kneeling talking to a player with his back to the game. Then I realize that a student manager has brought water out to the 4 players and is also standing on the court.

I halted my partners from proceeding with the 2nd FT and said, "coach, I need you to take a seat. This isn't a timeout and we shouldn't have water on the court." At this point the head coach realizes whats happening and pops up saying, "what's a matter?" After a quick explanation, his response was, "we can't get a drink during a break?"

At that point I just walked away, obviously realizing that he is missing the bigger picture here. Any thoughts on handling this differently?

Based upon your description A1 has been awarded two FTs. While A1 is attempting his two FTs, A2, A3, A4, and A5 are standing in front of their Team's Bench. A2, A3, A4, and A5 are doing nothing illegal. A-AC is not allowed to be standing and could be subject to a DTF with A-HC being accessed an IDTF. The Student Manager cannot be on the Court.

BUT, nothing prohibits A2, A3, A4, and A5 from standing in front of Team A's Bench and drink water while A1 is attempting his FTs.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio