View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 22, 2018, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
I think these are wonderful guidelines. Not sure how "previous" you want to get, but these guidelines have been around as long as I have, and I wore an Elbeco for many years.
Yep, and I still have some in my closet

Quote:

You say: "prioritizing when necessary" is exactly the point of the fourth guideline. Both PU and BU have to read the throw - does it go to third, does it go home or does it get cut - and then read the play from there. What this prevents is a PU who get so focused on the run scoring that a BU is now stranded. Not to mention the dimensions of the slow pitch field are bigger now (for the typical SP umpire - yes, I know the major/super level was always larger).
I've worked 80' fields and yes, it takes some adjustment, but is not that bad once it kicks in how far you need to go.

I am referring to prioritizing the runners.

The PU should be focused on the lead runner and the ball. As long as there is the possibility of a play at the plate, the PU must keep a position that will allow him to make that call and the BU must be available to make a call involving any other runner. Even if the PU does head down to 3rd for a call, he cannot just drop the responsibility of the lead runner and must turn his head and look to the plate on an out call as that runner is the most important on the field at that time. Like I said, don't care much for absolutes in this mechanic.