View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 03:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Steps ??? We Don't Count No Stinkin' Steps ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
Using terms out of the rule book such as legal guarding position, displacement, and incidental contact has gotten me out of some potentially contentious situations with coaches. They usually back off because many have no clue what the rule book says.
Agree.

Also, when confronted with a coach questioning a travel/nontravel call, be sure to identify the pivot foot (left, or right (best guess if you have to)) and what that pivot foot did, or didn't do. This will usually disarm a coach because they usually want to talk about the number of steps, which, of course, as we all know (but they don't) has very little to do with a travel call.

"Coach. His right foot was the pivot foot and it never returned to the floor before the shot was released".

"Coach. Her left foot was the pivot foot and after being lifted it touched the floor before she released the pass".

"Coach. His right foot was his pivot foot and he lifted it off the floor before releasing the ball to start a dribble".

Coaches want to talk about the number of steps so when you come back at them talking about which foot was the pivot foot and what that foot did, or didn't do, it confuses them for a second, they figure that you know what your talking about, and they shut up, or you're long gone up the court.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Feb 21, 2018 at 03:33pm.