View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 04, 2003, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

The Goal Is Improvement

Under the assumption that the goal is the umpires to simply call the MLB dictated zone, the solution seems simple. There is a quote that goes, "When you stop being better, you stop being good," and most umpires would agree with this. All aspiring umpires are constantly looking to improve their abilities and call a better game. One established way to improve yourself in any area is intelligent feedback.

With that in mind, QuesTec software can be used to the umpires advantage. The plate ump should have the choice to be evaluated. The QuesTec software would then be enabled, and the plate ump's calls checked by QuesTec. On the occasions where QuesTec and the umpire disagree, a note is made on where QuesTec felt the pitch crossed, which pitch it exactly was, etc. so the umpire can go back to film (or memory), and watch the pitch.

However, the results should be for the umpire's eyes only. If the umpire cares to disclose the results, that is his (or maybe eventually her) decision. In most cases, other umpires, players, and even fans can tell whether the umpire had been calling a good game. QuesTec is not necessary to simply show others how an umprie is doing.

If used correctly, with good intentions, under the premise of self-improvement, I see very few umpries having a problem with fairly accurate feedback on their performance.

Now, while that is my position on the software, I am not necessarily in favor of changing the game. Baseball has become what it has over time. By losing critical pieces, such as umpire error, you severely alter the game, and potentially damage it.

I know that personally, when I hear a player, team, or coach complaining, I can ignore it without hard feelings, knowing that it is a part of the game. Being a player for many years, I found myself doing the very things to umpires as I had done to me! That's baseball! That's what I, and many fans love. All the traditions and quirks that make the game more than a game.

For those who deny that every small detail makes the game what it is, talk to a loyal Chicago Cubs fan. Harry Caray was simply the announcer. He had no bearing on what happened in the field. But, in his passing, Cubs games, while still as fun as ever, aren't the same. The 7th inning stretch is not the same, and the game, no matter how minutely altered, is not the same.

That's my take. Leave the time tested techniques in play, and allow the game to keep all its splendor.

Hello again, everybody. It's a bee-yooo-tiful day for baseball.
- Harry Caray