Thread: Stop Sign
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 19, 2018, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

I have worked baseball for about 15 years and just got into basketball last year. I learned really quickly that even though the stop sign works 95% of the time in baseball when coaches know you've heard them, it's an epic failure in basketball the majority of the time. It was my go to coach management style coming into basketball and I got burned quickly. I do still use it occasionally for players depending on our interaction, but I will almost always talk to a coach before he gets the stop sign. The hand typically only comes out when I'm walking away from the coach after our discussion or if the ball is live and he wants to carry on. At that point, AFAIC, he's getting whatever he's asking for once we've talked.

Take it for what it's worth, especially with the far senior guys on this board, but that's been my experience crossing over from a sport that uses the hand much more liberally.