View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 18, 2018, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have my book handy and haven't done games in a couple years that use NFHS rules, but I have a question.

Team A lists 14 players on their roster and submits a line up with 9 players and 5 subs (everyone on the roster is listed). Only 11 players are present due to illness or other commitments for team A players. In addition, one player who is present has a cast on her arm for a broken arm. In the second inning, player A becomes injured and can't return to the game. The team uses the remaining healthy player to sub for that injured player. In the 5th inning another player is injured and can't return. The team still has one player listed on the lineup card who is present, plus three on the lineup card who aren't present. How is this handled. If the rule indeed requires you to list everyone on your roster you could run into this problem of rostered players not being available.

I know what I've done in both Softball and volleyball (which also uses preprinted rosters on most occasions) is to have the ill / absent / injured players crossed off. This allows me to know who is actually present and available to participate. The player is still on the roster for the purposes team introductions, ect, but is not on the "active" roster for the game.