View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 15, 2018, 12:13pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
In our case, the transition was largely done by conferences. There were still plenty of big games in the 2-person conferences.

One of our conferences that went 3 person the first year went back to 2 the 2nd year because they saw too many sub par officials added to their games. They felt they had better quality with 2 than 3. The observed improvement from the system wasn't enough to overcome the addition of an official that may have never been on their games in the past. That was because we threw too many people into 3-person at once. The new official wasn't ready or accustomed to that level of ball and had no 3-person background at all. With limited experience form the other 2, that made for a situation where 3-person didn't look that good on a lot of nights.
Here officials choose which conferences to work for -- and the conferences choose which ones they will have.

I know, for a fact, I've worked my last 2-person varsity contest. Mainly because I won't work for the few conferences that still use 2. If everyone went back to two, I'd retire.