View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 14, 2018, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
bases loaded, no outs... you're absolutely right.
This is why I keep coming here - this forum makes me a better umpire. This comment thread, specifically, made me more aware on the field in a recent juco game: 8th inning, tiebreaker time. The visitors scored 2 in the top of the inning, leading 6-4 or something like that. The home team loaded the bases with one out. Either team could win the game on the very next pitch.

As PU, I made sure to communicate with my partner that we needed to watch for time plays even with 1 out, since the game-winning runner was on base. He couldn't hear me from behind the shortstop without me yelling, so I signaled a "1" with my finger, then pointed to my head and gave a time-play tap-the-watch signal. I did it twice so he knew that I knew there was one out, not two.

Luckily, I had an attentive and aware partner, who gave me a nod on the field, echoed the time-play signal, and told me in postgame that he knew what I was signalling, given the game situation.