View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 14, 2018, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I also think that schools/conferences need to realize that there will be growing pains.

Personally, I would prefer making the change all at once at the varsity level and have considerable training prior to and during the transition -- and don't let the schools complain too loudly for a few years.

Why? If I wasn't in that group of officials getting to work the bigger games that I might have worked for a while because I wasn't in the "chosen" group, I might simply walk away.
In our case, the transition was largely done by conferences. There were still plenty of big games in the 2-person conferences.

One of our conferences that went 3 person the first year went back to 2 the 2nd year because they saw too many sub par officials added to their games. They felt they had better quality with 2 than 3. The observed improvement from the system wasn't enough to overcome the addition of an official that may have never been on their games in the past. That was because we threw too many people into 3-person at once. The new official wasn't ready or accustomed to that level of ball and had no 3-person background at all. With limited experience form the other 2, that made for a situation where 3-person didn't look that good on a lot of nights.