View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 11, 2018, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Maybe a good opportunity to issue a book warning. It addresses the behavior, but doesn't "rub salt in the wound".

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrStBballRef View Post
So had this feedback given to me on Friday and I've spent some time chewing on it over the course of the weekend. Wanted to get the board's thoughts.

Friday night game (BV 3 man crew) I ended up in front of visiting team coach, who was frustrated most of the night, with about a minute left in the game says some magic words that earned himself a T. Game at that time was a 15+ point game and he was losing.

In the locker room post-game the R on the game offered some feedback. He indicated at that point in the game given the visiting coach was losing big, playing badly, that barring some truly demonstrative action the whole gym could see would be to pass on the T. Reason being is no need to rub salt in the wound and possibly save it for another time you have the coach. The R is a very good official and has officiated several 6A final games (highest level in our state). It wasn't a criticism by any means but just a line of thinking for me to consider.

At the post-game watering hole i asked a different official who I often bounce stuff off on and he agreed, but noted it was always situational. His logic was he uses a T as a tool, not a weapon, and he wouldn't validate the coaches gripes in that situation by giving him one. He also knew of the coaches antics from earlier in the season and felt the T was probably warranted based his history with the team, how he knows I call the game and deal with coaches.

The question I have the board is do you agree with this line of thinking? Not necessarily looking for whether the T is warranted as is often discussed here everyone has a different threshold. What I'm curious about is the theory to consider not giving a coach in that situation to avoid the 'salt in the wound'.

As I thought this weekend about this feedback I think there may be some validity to this feedback, but not necessarily for this game. For example, coach received a bench warning in the 3Q for an asinine comment to me and his bench had been more vocal that it should have been in the 2H. It died down after the bench warning or at least while I was near it for the rest of the game. He had been borderline for most of the game which prompted the warning and his players had been pretty undisciplined (mirrored the coach IMO) as I ended up giving a T to one of his players earlier in the game.

The T was just for a comment that only I was going to hear. It wasn't a goofball action or words the whole gym could hear.

I could see myself passing on the T if I hadn't heard anything from the bench prior to the late game comment (and I've done this in the past), but in this case, given what preceded in the game, is why I called it. Any thoughts with the feedback? Yea or nay? Situational? Just curious about everyone's thoughts...
Already gave one.