Thread: Survey Says ...
View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 11, 2018, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Just a few thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

About the rules for 2018-19 – Would you favor?

1. Awarding no free throws for common fouls prior to the sixth team foul each quarter.
I think this has worked great in the women's college game.

2. Awarding a technical foul for slapping the backboard even though there is a try attempt.
No. Just opens up an avenue for controversy on legitimate shot block attempts.

4. Using the 3-foot-wide arc under the basket to help clarify block/charge.
If instituted, I can see a lot of issues in application with newer officials, or some officials stuck in their ways. Not that that is a reason to not change a rule, but I don't see this as necessary in HS ball.

14. Clarifying that stitching on the functioning seam of a sleeve may be a different color than the sleeve.
And this year's winner for Dumbest Proposed Rule Change is........
Oh, and this would be a shoe-in for Dumbest Rule Change of the Decade in 2 years as well.

15. Beginning with the sixth team foul each quarter, the opponent shoots two free throws for all subsequent fouls.

16. Resetting the fouls to zero each quarter if the rule eliminating the 1-and-1 is adopted.
For 15 and 16, same justification as #1

19. Permitting coaches to only call a time-out during a dead ball, including after a made basket.
ABSOLUTELY NOT. This is already the worst rule in NCAA Men's, no need to expand it to HS (and younger). Why add a middle man? Other than a trap in a corner and similar situations, virtually all timeouts are strategic and wanted by the HC. Not like you have captains saying, "Hmm... I think we need a break here..."

21. Eliminating the jump ball at the beginning of the game. The visiting team would get first possession and the arrow would be set after legal inbounds.
Disagree. Sorry Billy, I for one enjoy the tradition here. Plus it could be argued that not having it makes a legitimate difference in OT.

23. Charging a direct technical foul to the head coach if players enter the game with illegal equipment (sleeves, tights, headbands, wristbands, undershirts, wearing uniform incorrectly, etc.).
Nope. Especially the part about wearing the uniform incorrectly, you're going to give the HC a Tech for a player not tucking in their jersey? I hope not

25. Including pregame dunking as one of the behaviors that would constitute a warning to the head coach (during pregame warmups, participants are considered to be bench personnel).
I'm actually ok with this, because I think it's one step closer to just allowing this legitimate shot attempt during pregame.

27. Resuming the backcourt 10-second count after the defensive team causes the ball to go out-of-bounds in the backcourt of the offensive team (resets to 10 seconds on fouls, time-outs, defensive violations).
Good thought, and I like its application in college, however, unless they allow the 10 second count to be timed by the game clock (or shot clock if used), then I think this ends up being another rule change thats totally opening itself to problems and controversy. (An official that loses their count by a whistle, the communication of time remaining, etc.)

30. Starting overtime by using the alternating-possession arrow and eliminating the jump ball. Overtime is an “extension of the fourth quarter” in all areas, e.g., direction of play, fouls on each player.
Same as before.

The rest I have no clear opinion one way or another-