Thread: Moving Screen
View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 10, 2018, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
NolanJJ68:

From the most recent Rules Codes (NFHS: 2017-18; NCAA Men's/Women's: 2017-18 and 2018-19):

NFHS R4-S40-A6: "When screening an opponent who is moving in the same path and direction as the screener, the player behind is responsible if contact is made because the player in front slows up or stops and the player behind overruns his/her opponent."

NCAA Men's R4-S35-A5: "When opponents are moving in exactly the same path and direction (one behind the other) and the screener slows down or stops and contact results, the trailing player shall be responsible for such contact."

NCAA Women's R10-S5-A5: "When both opponents are moving in exactly the same path and direction and the screener slows down or stops and contact results, the trailing player shall be responsible for such contact."

We can also go back as far as the 1963-64 (the oldest Rules Book in my Library, and you should appreciate me climbing up into my attic this morning to get it, just ask BillyMac) National Basketball Committee of the United States and Canada (NBC, the predecessor Rules Committee to the NFHS and NCAA Men's Committees) Rules Book, from it Comments on the Rules (prior to the NFHS and NCAA Men's Committees, the Definitions of Guarding and Screening were not in Rule 4 but in the Comments on the Rules after Rule 10:

"3. Screening-- ... When both opponents are moving in exactly the same path and same direction, the player behind is responsible if contact is made because the player in front slows up or stops and the player behind overruns his opponent. ...

One can see a pattern here: "Moving screen" has been in the Rules for quite some time.

MTD, Sr.
You have chosen to parse my words to prove that the words moving and screen appear in the rule book. Fine, I give up. My point was "Moving screen" those words as quoted do not exist in the rule book as a definition, as a violation, or as a foul as the OP asked about. I was trying to help end the myth of "moving screen" that we hear ignorant coaches and parents scream about. I also hear "illegal screen" when players are moving next to each other with no contact. Another one of my favorites. As I said, I give up. Last post on this subject.