View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 04, 2003, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I totally agree with the player's complaint so far of the computer system to evaluate umpires. For example, about a month ago when the Yankees and Red Sox played each other, a close pitch on the inside corner was called a ball by th umpire due to the new system.

The reason that particular pitch was called a ball was due the fact the computer system had been set up that any pitch in that exact spot like the one in the Yankees/Red Sox game I was just mentioning was to be called a ball.

Tim Welke(major league umpire and crew chief) told me about a month while I was umpiring a tournament his son was playing in said that one of the umpires on his crew this year gets very nervous when he is working the plate at a ballpark that has the new system. The umpire said that he feels himself having to call pitches that opposite way.

I agree that there needs to be an evaluation system in place to evaluate all umpires on the accuracy of the strike zone, but the system that is in place this year is not the system to be using. Like yesterday in the Phillies/Expos game, a pitch was called a ball by the HP because of the new system. Right idea, but wrong tool to be using for evaluating umpires.