View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 04, 2018, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Held Ball = Injury

I was working a BV game Friday between 2 deaf schools WV & Ohio. It was a challenging game to work as most of the players could not hear and when you blow the whistle, very few stopped. Anyway, there were several jump ball calls here and there.

Late n the 3rd Q, I was on lead and 2 players grabbed the rebound, I give them a sec to see if one can get control and no, so I blow the whistle as does one of my partners, Jump ball, they continue to tussle and the stronger one V1, pulls the ball away and flips the other player H1 over his hips, dislocating H1's shoulder, nothing flagrant or intentional, just playing hard and can't hear the whistles.

We stopped the game and it took about 3 minutes to get the player off the floor. I have touched based with the home AD, he is fine should put back in and should recover without problems.

In this fast paced game, we have to be on our toes. I don't think there is anything we could have done to prevent the injury, even blowing sooner, maybe if they were hearing, but they are not. 1st time for a serious injury for me in 18 year, not counting a concussion in a scrimmage 2 years ago. BTW, Ohio won like 42-24