Thread: New Hip anyone?
View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 03, 2018, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

I had a follow up with the doctor on 1-24. This was the guy who did the actual surgery. He feels that I'm progressing along on schedule.

I asked for a script for PT, which he gave me.

Prior to surgery, back in September, I asked if I had the surgery done in the fall, (which ended up being November 28) if I'd be ready for umpiring my mid-April. Back then, he said that shouldn't be a problem.

In my last visit, he did make a point to remind me that hip surgery is a year long process for healing. So I think he did walk back his initial comments somewhat, but I'm sure that reminder gets conveyed to all his patients. While I'm not about to go running any marathons, I will need to do some amount of running. (Well, that's what I call it, anyway.)

The first PT session was Monday of this week. It was a lot of data gathering, history, and measurements for range of motion. The second session of the week go into a few exercises. Some were the same that I had been given by my home therapist. Some were new. I was told to stop doing one particular exercise where I lay on my back, non-operative leg bent up, and then raising the operative leg up. This was very difficult for a month after surgery, but over time, became easier. The therapist said they will give me something new a bit later that will be somewhat more challenging.

I did some mild squats with holding onto a table for support. Only a few, but the knees still complained a bit.

I was actually a bit sore on Tuesday which must have been just from the measurements of my range of motion. A bit of Tylenol took care of that.

I've been out in the neighborhood a little bit when we had some nicer weather. Today, we're back to 4 degrees with a wind chill of minus 4. I did run some errands Friday including food shopping and managed to get my steps to over 7400 which is my highest post-op.

PT will be twice a week for the next 5 weeks. One of my neighbors, an ex-Marine, tells me that any pain I might feel is weakness leaving my body. That sounds SO Marine-ish!