View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 29, 2018, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

I appreciate all of your thoughts. I'm simply thinking it through logically, and I believe that what OU did any team from grade school up could do with about 5 minutes of instruction, if interpreted the way some on here are saying, that those fouls were simple fouls.

Interestingly, aTm didn't go down the road at all this past Saturday, but I am pretty sure some team in conference will do it, particularly when they are at home. I expect it to happen in the K State game tonight.

And as I say, my interpretation would be if somebody is playing basketball, or essentially intentionally fouling. If I believe it is intentional conduct, even if not excessive or flagrant, and particularly if off-ball, I believe the proper interpretation of the rule book is still that it was suffer the additional penalty. I hesitate to say F1 because I think that misleads people as to what conduct is intended to be penalized under the rule. Nothing has happened in the rules to change them from where they were a decade ago as to intentional conduct; I just don't think this particular strategy has been deployed to the point where it has caught the attention of the higher ups. Hopefully it will be clarified before the NCAA tourney when it really counts for everyone.

I also believe a factor that has confused the issue is the greater restriction on doing things to impede free movement. Again, that shouldn't, and I don't believe it did, have changed the conduct that was intended to be hit with the extra penalty. In fact, I'd argue it makes this conduct even more obviously intentional, unless the fouler is mentally challenged.