View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 29, 2018, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
A foul is punished -- as are repeated fouls, which are penalized more severely after 7 and then again after 10 each half.

I'm not sure why people are so worked up about this. It is a strategy that is limited in its use (limits to roster sizes and 5 fouls per player) and has a very easy counter strategy -- namely substituting a better free throw player into the game. I don't see it as any different than fouling at the end of the game to stop the clock.

If this became such a problem, I think it would need to be addressed with a major rules change (like when the shot clock was added to avoid stall offense). I don't advocate this, but something like making the bonus FTs optional (teams could choose to take the ball OOB instead) would be a better solution than trying to having officials consider a players skill at shooting FTs and how far down the depth chart the fouler is when determining whether or not to rule a common or intentional/FF1
Really?

And we determine intent all the time. Is there even any debate as to what was happening in this game?

There's no need for new rules. Maybe a POE, but the rules to prevent this kind of gamesmanship already exist.