View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 29, 2018, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post
This is an abasement of the sport and should be noticed and punished. Once it's clear of the intent, the player and coach should be quietly warned. Perhaps after the second questionable foul.
A foul is punished -- as are repeated fouls, which are penalized more severely after 7 and then again after 10 each half.

I'm not sure why people are so worked up about this. It is a strategy that is limited in its use (limits to roster sizes and 5 fouls per player) and has a very easy counter strategy -- namely substituting a better free throw player into the game. I don't see it as any different than fouling at the end of the game to stop the clock.

If this became such a problem, I think it would need to be addressed with a major rules change (like when the shot clock was added to avoid stall offense). I don't advocate this, but something like making the bonus FTs optional (teams could choose to take the ball OOB instead) would be a better solution than trying to having officials consider a players skill at shooting FTs and how far down the depth chart the fouler is when determining whether or not to rule a common or intentional/FF1