View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 29, 2018, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Or it is conduct to try to prevent a player from setting a ball screen.

Are you asking officials to evaluate where a player is on the team's depth chart, before judging an action on the floor?

You do understand where all this could lead, it's nuts to not clarify before somebody really abuses it, perhaps in a tourney game. As you are presenting it, a team with a 50% FT shooter could, actually should if the idea is to maximize probability of winning, see 1/4 of their possessions with that guy at the FT line. If a team is average 1.2 points per possession, the math is quite tempting, particularly over the 1 and 1's each half. I have not seen a team try this other than OU, so if the window is open and NCAA admin of officials doesn't clarify, someone will push the envelope. I don't really care, just find it interesting.

but to answer your question I guess, no, you rarely if ever see a player trying to prevent another player from moving in open court to set a ball screen, and it is quite clear what the intent is here, particularly given the fact that the defender involved is off the end of the bench.

You position, I take it, is as long as it isn't a bear hug or 2 hand push, and as long as the fouled player isn't standing in the corner, it's not an F1? I'm trying to exercise common sense on 'intent', and yes, whether the player committing the repeated fouls is from the end of the bench is relevant to that issue.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't seen anyone associated with the KU program even hint that they should have been F1, that is not their style, I'm just curious whether actual D1 officials have been given any better guidance on how to assess or handle this situation if it comes up. Apparently the answer is no. I watch a lot of basketball and have never seen it off-ball like this. No need to foul the player with the ball late anymore, apparently, as long as you don't bear hug or push with your hands. I'm just trying to get it defined with a little more clarity. Surely it is an interesting question for people that officiate, and please don't tell me it's clear to anyone as to how to handle it? If so, answer, if that exact conduct happens on fouls 7-9 and a couple more in the first half with a player that isn't normally playing, and then again in the 2nd half for 5 fouls beginning with 7-9 and then a couple more, with another player that doesn't play other than those few minutes, are they all common fouls? In this case, the player that fouled out in 2 minutes got quite an ovation as he was ushered to the bench. No one in the place had any doubt what was going on. My question, could it happen with another 1,2,3 players? where is the line drawn? If there is no answer as of now, we'll probably have a better idea by the end of this season.