View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj View Post
If Collins Hills scores and wins it would seem that Discovery could file a protest with the GHSA saying that based on the GHSA constitution the original outcome should not have been subject to a protest. That would be an interesting response to see.

http://static.boredpanda.com/blog/wp...ictures-40.jpg
If Collin Hills scores, they'll have won both the original game and the 1 second replay. That seems fairly unlikely given 1 second remaining on the clock. (One wonders if the tenths were available and known as well). I think you mean if they Collin Hills doesn't score, they could protest that the first protest wasn't allowed. And I agree it would be utterly comical if a different appeals board upheld that appeal.
Assuming Collin Hills is in the bonus, one wonders if the slightest contact might not result in them getting free throws anyway

I'm torn on this subject and would love to hear reasoned thought on it as I think there are good arguments on both sides of this debate. Sure it opens up an utterly unresolvable Pandora's box of questions as to what to do when this happens if you don't keep the game final, so my instinct is to say that the rule that games are final is best. But is there any line at which you'd acknowledge the officiating was so bad that we shouldn't take their final decision. Consider this case for example. With .3 on the clock and Team A down by 5, the ball is inbounded touched, deflected around but the clock doesn't start. A1 grabs the loose ball thinking the game is over and runs into a half court heave for the basket. B1 running toward his team bench celebrating trips A1 on his way back to the ground. The officials deem the A1's shot counts since the clock didn't start but that time has now run out. They determine that B1's foul is a DBCT because the clock should have run out and award 2 free throws for the technical plus one for committing a technical on a shot. A1 sinks all three free throws to win. The result of the game determines who gets into the State Tournament. It comes out after the game that one of the referees had a personal issue with one of the coaches.
What about the same but they are down 7 and they give the coach a technical for saying "what?" loudly when he sees how this goes down.

Or how about this one, with 1 minute left and team A up by 23 points the referee announces "next shot wins." Team B scores 22 seconds later. The referee tells the scorer to give them 24 points and to sound the final horn and the referees leave.

But if you accept any of my utterly Third World Absurdities are enough to trigger doing something then this is merely a line drawing conversation about where to make the cutoff and not the hard and fast rule suggested by the book. And if you don't accept the last one, I'm tempted to question whether you have enough sense of fair play.
I know this seems black and white to many of you but I think it's more nuanced than you're acknowledging. I think the answer may turn on keeping the result unless it's absurd, but Discovery would certainly argue that giving them a technical foul for punching the ball out of bounds was an absurd way to end a game.